Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business has released its admissions essays and application deadlines for 2008-2009. Our comments are in italics:
Duke (Fuqua) Application Deadlines
Early Action: October 15, 2008
Round 1: October 27, 2008
Round 2: January 7, 2009
Round 3: March 16, 2009
Duke (Fuqua) Application Essays
Short Answer Essays – Answer all short answer essay questions. (single page each)
- What do you hope to gain from The Duke MBA? How does it fit into your short- and long- term goals? If you are interested in a joint degree or the Health Sector Management program, please address in this response.
- How will you contribute to the overall experience of your peers at The Duke MBA?
- Discuss a person, event or experience that has significantly shaped your life and explain why. Note: The goal of this essay is to get a sense of who you are, rather than what you have achieved professionally.
(The first two questions are substantially the same as those in last year’s application. The third question is new, and is interesting because it is so explicit in targeting your personal growth, not your professional development.)
Long Essay – Answer the long essay question below. (two pages)
- Today, companies must navigate through complex and interdependent issues. They must deal with health and security matters, environmental impact questions, and diversity and cultural concerns. Leaders need adaptability, imagination, and emotional intelligence as well as business acumen.
Upon graduation, a Duke MBA will be a leader of consequence – able to deal simultaneously with complex matters and engage skillfully with colleagues, clients, and community. What impact do you hope to have as a leader of consequence?
(This question is new this year. It replaces last year’s “choose one topic” essay question. This new question highlights Duke’s new emphasis on developing “leaders of consequence,” and is a clear sign that Duke will put more emphasis on the leadership dimension in this year’s application. This question is very wide open and will probably cause many applicants to go astray by “talking big” rather than telling a personal story. Do the latter here. Don’t feel the need to be grandiose… Simply answer the question about how you hope to make an impact in your life going forward.)
Optional Essay (not required)
- If you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the admissions committee should be aware, please explain them here (e.g. unexplained gaps in work, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, significant weakness in your application).
(Only use this essay if needed. Don’t stress about a couple of C’s in college… Only use this for the bigger things.)
Reapplicant Essay (two pages)
- Write an essay describing how you are a stronger candidate for admission compared to the previous year’s application.
For more advice on applying to the Fuqua School of Business, visit the Veritas Prep Fuqua information page.